Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Review: The Road to Grantchester by James Runcie

Release Date: March 21, 2019

What the Dickens?!

I adore the TV show Grantchester. I love the characters, the dialogue, the mysteries, etc. Sadly, the actor of the main character, Sidney Chambers, has left the show recently and so they've had to replace him with a new main character, who I don't dislike, but I do miss Sidney so I'd been considering reading the books to get my Sidney-fix.

This book is actually a prequel to when the show (and the first book) began, so I thought it'd be a good introduction to the books. Although it could easily be read as a introduction to either the books or the show, I really enjoyed reading about Sidney's journey to get to where he winds up in the rest of the series having already known him and some of the other characters. It explains a lot about Sidney's character and his relationship with Amanda, with all the charm, witty dialogue, and depth of character I've come to expect from the show. It didn't really have the usual mystery element, it's much more about the characters, but it was still just as enjoyable.

Advanced review copy from publisher via NetGalley. My opinions are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...