Monday, September 23, 2013

Review: A Disappearance in Drury Lane (Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries #8) by Ashley Gardner

Captain Gabriel Lacey agrees to investigate the disappearance of a famous Drury Lane actress after she received threats and an explosive package. But he has to balance his investigation with managing his new marriage, getting to know his daughter again, and avoiding a new Bow Street runner determined to see him hang for his involvement with criminal James Denis. All while not getting himself killed, of course.

So there's a lot going on in the eighth installment of this series and it kept me guessing until the end, making it hard to put down. As always, the characters are a big part of what makes me return to this series, whether protagonist or antagonist, they each have their own intricate backgrounds and unique personalities.

SPOILERS:
My only criticism is that I didn't find Mr. Holt's motive very believable. I could get on board with Mrs. Holt's obsessive dedication to her sister but I didn't really understand why her husband would get involved.

After eight books, it has not gotten stale at all and I'm already eagerly awaiting the ninth book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...