Saturday, March 11, 2017

Review: Alice and the Assassin (An Alice Roosevelt Mystery #1) by by R.J. Koreto

Release Date: April 11, 2017

Alice Roosevelt, spirited daughter of President Theodore Roosevelt, drags her bodyguard around New York to uncover a mystery relating to the assassination of President McKinley.

An entertaining enough fictional adventure, but I can't say I was hugely enthralled. Alice's character is amusing and I enjoyed the banter between her and her bodyguard, but beyond that it was an average plot with average writing. I could let the unrealistic places the daughter of the president wound up in and people she talked to slide, as unlikely as it was even given her very real spunky nature, it was plausible enough for the sake of a good story. Unfortunately, the plot just seemed to dragged on, despite being a very short 288 pages. It picked up at the end, but by then I'd already figured out what was going on.

I also frequently wished we could have seen Alice's point of view.

Good, fun characters with lively dialogue and banter, but everything else fell just a bit short of the mark.

Advanced review copy from publisher via NetGalley. My opinions are my own.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...