Saturday, September 16, 2017

Review: Mistress of Rome (Empress of Rome #1) by Kate Quinn

A Jewish slave and a troubled gladiator fight for their lives and happiness against all the odds and more than one enemy who would bring them down.

I felt like this had a little bit of a slow start - not that it was boring, I just thought it took a little while for the plot to really kick in. But once it did... wow, did it kick in! Kate Quinn is one of those authors who can master both compelling characterization and thrilling plots.

There's so much going on, the plot takes a couple turns I wasn't really expecting, and there's so many interesting characters that you'll either love to love, or love to hate.

I definitely can't wait to read the rest of this series. I don't know why I waited so long to pick this one up (oh, yes, I do - it's because there's too many books in the world, not enough time!).



2 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting but... Jews in Rome, written by someone who isn't Jewish doesn't bode well for accuracy (I'm Jewish, and it is a pet peeve for me when non-Jews get Jewish things wrong). I'm going to be reading her "The Alice Network" soon, however. That sounds more up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that maybe a little unfair if you haven't read it? You can't know that the author got anything wrong. Not being Jewish doesn't mean one can't do their research properly. I don't think the author is Italian either, but that doesn't mean she can't write accurately about Ancient Rome. Many people write about cultures outside their own ethnicity and do so very well, with great accuracy. So surely, one doesn't need to be Jewish to write accurately about Jewish history? That said, there isn't a huge amount of Jewish religion, history, or culture in the book - enough to make it believable but not so much that there was a lot which could have gone wrong.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...